|1. Tesla||2. Zippo||3. Swiss|
You have planned a long trek outdoors and decide to go all survival and rely on flints, but you have never attended scouts camping trips. Matches and flints are unreliable at the most and starting fire by rubbing stones is not easy for the uninitiated for not all stones spark when rubbed against each other.
If you love to spend your holidays outdoors or are associated with emergency services in forests or live in regions where power out is common. Temperatures are lower than usual you would have to know the importance of carrying along the best survival lighter. These survival lighters are much better than regular lighters and can be safely used for a very long time.
If looking at the plethora of brands and make you are confused which survival gear is right for you. Then you have landed over the right place. Here we have shortlisted top 16 best survival lighters and all the information related to them along with factors and a few common enquiries to help you choose better and stay safer.
Top 16 Best Survival Lighters 2020
1. Tesla Coil Lighters Arc Lighter
These are chargeable and hassle-free lighters that need no flame and no butane. You can light them using one press of a button, windproof, and economical. It will never light up when the lid is closed because of its safety feature. Once fully charged, the lighter can be used for about 300 times. These simple safe and reliable lighters are must add to your bag pack in the next trip. And being reusable, these lighters are ecofriendly too.
- They are rechargeable
- They are easy to use
- You can light them with a click of a button
- You can’t take them in temperatures above 50 degrees.
2. Zippo Lighter Inserts
It is a classic design with a double torch butane insert that provides a steady and adjustable blue flame that can heat up to 2300F. Due to its soft-touch, you can easily ignite the lighter. Lighter has all-metal construction that makes it durable and long-lasting. Also, it is designed in a way to limit waste.
- It has an adjustable flame
- It can fit all zippo lighter cases
- Piezo ignition provides about 10,000 cycles
- Comes with double torch inserts
- Fuel is sold separately
- Only one year warranty only if you have proof of purchase.
3. Swiss Safe 5-in-1 Fire Starter
Counted and tagged as Amazon Choice product, you know this will be one of the best survival lighter out there. When you have this lighter, you will never be without a fire in the wild and being weatherproof, this lighter will not betray you when you require it the most.
This heavy-duty compact size magnesium rod lighter comes with a neckband that makes it easy to carry. It comes in different bright colors that are easy to find in the dark. The lighter produces flames that can burn up to 5000F.
- You can light the fire instantly in any weather conditions
- Comes with two fire starters
- Comes with Bbuilt-in compass and 150dB Whistle
- It also comes with steel Scraper and 450LB 8core Paracord
- It has a compact design
- It is lightweight and reliable
- It comes with a 100% money-back guarantee
- Customer support is excellent
- Difficult to use due to the scraping required
- Compass is too basic
4. RONXS Lighter
These sleek design lighters are the perfect gift for both men and women. This large capacity lighter has a long flexible neck that can be rotated and is lightweight. The lighter also includes safety protection with a switch design to keep your fingers safe while using the lighter.
A single charge enables the lighter to be used for 500 times approximately.the lighter also features a 6 seconds automatic off feature so that you need not worry even if you forget to turn it off. There have many qualities and have been loved by all the buyers; thus, they have received excellent reviews.
- It comes with LED Battery display
- It can show real-time battery volume.
- It comes with safety protection.
- It needs no flame and no butane.
- It makes less noise
- It is wind and splash proof
- It comes with USB charging cable and gift box
- They have no safety latch
- Not hot enough to light incense sticks/cones
5. Zippo Survival Tools
Fire Starters can some time become a matter of life and death. You can use this lighter in your camp trip to the bright campfire and cook food. This blister pack kit contains the basic survival fire gears like a flint spark wheel, cotton tinder coated with paraffin wax, and a water resistant storage. People out camping and fishing for long duration will find this kit a great addition to lightweight travel kit.
- It is water-resistant
- It has an agronomic design
- It has a zippo flint spark wheel for easy ignition
- Comes with a molded hole for easy attaching optionsIt can burn up to 5 minutes
- It has a textured grip
- It floats in water
- ABS plastic body might crack easy
- The flint wheel felt flimsy to some
6. lcfun Waterproof Lighter
You can go for hiking, tracking, campaigning with this lighter, and light up a mid- of strong winds. Thus it is a perfect light for outdoors. This arch lighter is eco-friendly and economical and comes with a built-in rechargeable lithium battery which comes with a fully charged indicator, and you don’t need any fuel to light it up. The lighter also boasts of easy carriage as it flaunts a hole for lanyard cords. It is supposed to be one of the coolest and best survival lighters.
- It has a IP56 waterproof rating
- It is a multipurpose lighter and can be used for many things
- It is windproof
- A single charge does last for 10 to 14 days
- It is flameless
- It is convenient and durable
- Made with high-quality ABS and zinc alloy
- Unless the item touches the plasma arc, it will not be lighted
7. Survival Frog Tough Tesla Lighter 2.0
This is an innovative lighter that can ignite a fire with just a push of a button. You will also get a USB cable to recharge your lighter. This lighter will work effortlessly in strong winds and rains and it can be used for many hours after you recharge it once just for two hours.
The best part of this lighter is that you can always find it easily in the dark due to its vibrant orange color. The plasma arch is easily accessible die to the design making lighting flammable items easier. The lighter also features in a flashlight, an emergency whistle, and a para-tinder for emergency purposes.
- This is a windproof and waterproof lighter
- It works at high altitudes quickly
- It comes with a plastic case with wire safety latch
- You can start it just with a touch
- Lighter charges fully within 2 hours
- It can be used 300 times after recharged
- It produces odor when used
- The lighter can get hotter when on a charge and it produces noises
8. iLevar Dual Arc Plasma Lighter
This is a beautiful zinc alloy arc lighter that comes in an awesome gift box and is time five faster than any other electronic lighter. . The safety check included is that the lighter will not get ignited when charging or when the lid is closed.
The design of this lighter is sleek and futuristic with a heat resistant ceramic plare and dual plasma arc, and people love it. Despite using many times for days, you will not feel the need to recharge it. The lighter will lit up in wind and rain without any fuss. Thus, you can take it to campaign and hiking with you without any fear.
- It comes with a power indicator
- Four led lights display the charge status of the lighter
- You can use it for 300 times after it is charged
- Arc design and quality of the lighter is excellent
- It is a high-temperature resistant lighter that has a ceramic plate
- It is safe to use and durable make
- No flame and no butane
- It is weather resistant
- It is eco-friendly and has no harmful chemicals
- Some may find the noise produced during ignition to be unpleasant
9. TG Plasma Dual Arc Lighter
If you are in search for a no fuss and reliably innovative flameless lighter then look no further than the TG Plasma Lighter. This convenient tool is made using an electric dual-arc encased in a casing made of silicone rubber for a better grip.
It can set all the flammable objects ablaze much quickly. Whether it is raining heavily or winds are blowing like a tornado, and you would be able to light up your flames, it is waterproof and can withstand the hot climate. It comes with the USB cable, and once charged can be used for 300 times.
- Chargeable with inbuilt mechanism to prevent short circuit
- Comes with casing made of silicone rubber
- It has push-to-open cover
- It comes with locking mechanism
- Water and windproof plasma
- It can break within a few months
10. Q & G Dual Arc Lighter
It is an impact-resistant ABS Zinc alloy lighter, which is elegantly designed. This lighter comes with the top clips to keep the water and the other elements out. It has an internal lithium-ion battery thus, you don’t need liquid fuel.
This doing away with butane or other lighter fuel makes this lighter ecofriendly. This lighter can be easily recharged with the help of USB cable. You can use it in high altitudes, and it will never fail you. The lighter also comes with a time out feature that automatically shuts the lighter down when not in use for 10 seconds.
- It starts with a simple push-button operation
- It is a windproof, flameless, and electronic lighter
- Comes with a blue indicator for usage or time out more indication
- Lighter doesn’t require butane fuel or adjustments for higher altitude
- Arc is not suitable to light anything held inside a bowl like pipes
11. Green Vivid Waterproof Electric Lighter, Camouflage
This cool green camouflage vivid waterproof and windproof plasma beam lighter has both elegant design and innovative features. The lithium ion battery lighter does not require any fuel thus not impacting the environment and the human body negatively. It comes with a locking clasp and a cover along with a meal ring sealed model. Thus it guarantees proper waterproof function and has a frameless design.
The dual plasma arc ensures that the lighter works faster and efficiently. It is also windproof and five times faster than a single arc design. Being USB chargeable, you can even use your power bank or emergency radio power to recharge the lighter, and once it is completely charged it will last for a week or even more.
- It comes with a USB cable and is rechargeable
- It is a Flameless lighter
- You can use it 300 times after charging
- It requires only 2 hours for charging fully
- Comes with the dual arc technology design
- It is eco-friendly
- It comes with added protection
- It is safe to use and durable
- The lighter makes a loud noise when operational negating its camouflage feature
12. Green Vivid Waterproof Electric Lighter, Orange
It is one of the best lighters with hardly any negative points that have been recommended by many buyers. If you read the review of this lighter, you will find most of the positive reviews only. The lighter features a vivid orange color for better visibility and has a loud whistle thus making it an essential part of an EDC kit.
It is a waterproof and windproof lighter that has a cover and locking clasp for added security. It is also a flameless lighter that will work in harsh conditions. The lighter also features a para-tinger lanyard cord to reach difficult areas like flints placed within the bonfire logs.
- It comes with a USB cable and is rechargeable
- It is effortless to charge and use
- You can use it only after two hours of charging for more than 300 times
- It is an eco-friendly lighter
- Does not come with auto time out feature
13. Scotte Electric Lighter
This lighter comes in a beautiful gift box and a USB charging cable. It has attached a flashlight as well that helps you find things in the dark. If you look into the design of this lighter, you will find out that it has a beautiful and sleek design as it has both lighter and flashlight which provides exceptional functionality.
Another key benefit of this lighter is that it comes with a safety time out feature which you can activate by pressing the switch for 7 secs. Once charged completely, the torch/flashlight will provide a continuous service for 3 hours.
The lighter charges within 2 hours and provides for 300 usea. You can take it with you for activities like camping, travel, and hiking or use it in your house to light cigarettes. You can give it as a gift to your boss or colleague.
- Easy to use and rechargeable
- Windproof lighter that does away with harmful and easily extinguishable flames
- Excellent after-sale services
- battery bit on the pricier side.
14. Thyrm PyroVault Lighter Armor
For people looking for the classic military design fluid lighter, the zippo insers fluid lighter will not disappoint. It is a good built case that is rugged and heat resistant. This lighter case will keep your lighter safe from all the elements. It is one of the best Survival Lighter case in the market.
The lighter also features MOLLE web clipping that makes it easy to be attached to any survival kit and well within reach. The design also includes an O-ring that prevents evaporation of the fluid making it last for about 7 to 8 weeks in milder temperatures.
- Rugged and heat resistant
- Polymer body
- Made to be used even with one hand with cap loaded with spring
- Bright orange color makes it easy to find
- Some find the product to be expensive given the features
15. True Utility Fire Stash Multi-Tool
It is a solid built small lighter that has been designed beautifully and you can use it as a perfect gift or use it yourself. Coming with a stainless finish waterproof body, this lighter can be attached to keyrings or tied around your neck for easy access.
It is among one of the best survival lighters. The lighter is a no-fuss and easy to light product that runs of fluid. The wick and flint design can be replaced with standard zippo inserts provided you want a faster option.
- Small size
- Sleek design and built to be durable
- Elegant color
- Comes within a waterproof carry case
- Some buyers could not light it properly
- The protective O-ring might break easily
16. XIFEI Keychain Lighter
If you are on the hunt for a multifunctional and elegant looking lighter to add to your EDC kit, you can give the XIFEI lighter a try. The body is all-alloy that provides for an elegant design while housing a flint and wick combination along with a bottle-opener. The lighter has the capacity to withstand about 10,000 clicks. This is also a beautiful lighter and works great when it comes to selecting a gift for your friend or colleague be it a male or female.
- Elegant one-piece keychain design
- Made using all-alloy material, flint and steel
- Comes with a bottle opener
- Excellent performance
- Comes with a clasp to add it to any Molle system with a lanyard rope
- Refillable kerosene or gasoline chamber
- Some find the lighting mechanism to be difficult
Factors To Look For When Choosing The Best Survival Lighter
It is essential to choose the best survival lighter, but at the same time, it is also a daunting task. In case you want to buy your first survival lighter here, we have highlighted a few guidelines that will help you choose the right product:
1. Construction Quality
When it comes to survival lighters, they are supposed to be better than their counterparts, but not all the survival lighters have the same construction. Some of them are made using very cheap plastic. You should look for ABS, or Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene, the plastic body as they are far more durable and also ultralight.
You can also opt for metallic body lighters that are impact resistant. The build and materials used for the lighter also determines the durability, longevity, and reusability of the survival lighters.
2. Element Resistance
There are different types of external conditions you will face when you are outside. Thus, your lights should be resistant to water, dust, and wind. You should be able to light it in mid of heavy rains and wind. It should also not get damaged easily when it falls. For people who trek through windy terrains, the flameless ones are ideal choice as you can have a light whenever you are camplin.
When you are in the wild or the dark, you don’t want to be in a situation where you have to look for another option to light a fire because your lighter was one-time use only or because you ran out of the fuel. Standard lighters are meant to be thrown after their fuel is over, but survival lighters can be used as many times as possible. If you are planning to be outdoors for a long time, you can opt for the flint and wick style lighters and go old school.
4. Fuel Type
The choice of fuel is essential to determine because it will determine how easy it is to refill, its cost, and usability. The fuel you choose should be easily available, long-lasting, and cost-effective. Thus, many prefer electric lighters or battery-operated lighters these days.
5. Reliability Of Lighter
You should produce fire in the harshest conditions; for example, if you take match sticks with you and get wet, they are useless. Similarly, butane lighters are useless in cold weather. Propane lighters are easy to store. Wick based lighters are ideal for colder temperatures, but they can face fuel leak frequently.
So all the lighters have pros and cons, and you have to choose the best one per your needs and weather conditions. Having multiple lighters at your disposal is not a bad idea especially if you are a frequent backpacker and camper who likes to tread different grounds.
6. Easy To Use
Your lighter should be easy to start. When you are in an extremely cold region or a mid of rain or have a fear of catching hypothermia, then the last thing you want is to struggle to start your fire source. Your lighter should be one button press especially if you are new to this whole survival business. The easiest lighters to use and light up are wick lighters. butane lighters, too, are easy to light. Flint and steel lighters need both hands to light a fire, although they have many other benefits.
7. Cost-Effectiveness Of Lighter
The cost of the lighter is also an essential factor to look for. If you buy a fuel-based lighter, the cost of fuel will also be added to it. Chargeable arc lighters are considered as best when it comes to cost-effectiveness. But in the wild, you might not be able to recharge them.
Different Types Of Fuel And Ignition
When you are looking for the lighter you should know that there are various verities of fuel and ignition, so let’s take a look at them:
1. Lighter Fluid: it is one of the most readily available fuels, and thus it is considered among the best fuels. Lighter fluids are of two types: Petroleum-based fluids and Alcohol-based Fluid.
2. Butane: It is an organic compound that is highly flammable. It is colorless and one of the most reliable ones as well. But it is not efficient at higher altitudes.
3. Electric Arc and Plasma: Plasma and Arc Lighters are the entirely flameless ones, and they also don’t use combustible fuel to ignite. These are rechargeable lighters with Lithium-Ion batteries. The lighters are also windproof, and they will only go out when they go out of battery.
FAQs on Survival Lighters
1. Why Is Survival Lighter Essential, What Are Its Usage?
Survival lighter is essential because they provide you with a reliable source to lit fire especially if you have no idea of the basic survival procedures of flints and rocks. You can use them for cooking food, boil water, sterilize water, and stay warm. You can also use them to keep yourself safe from predators.
2. How Are Survival Lighters Different From Disposable Lighters?
Many things make these two apart, such as survival lighters, are more durable. They are resistant to the elements like dust, water, and wind. They provide a much reliable ignition source. Disposable lighters, as the name suggests, are a one-time use lighters that will be there as long as its fuel lasts.
3. Is It Ok To Use A Non-Recommended Fuel Type In Lighter?
You should not use the fuel that is not recommended in your lighter because it can damage your lighter.
4. How Long Will It Take For A Chargeable Lighter To Charge?
The duration of charging will depend upon the manufacturing design. For example, arc lighters need two hours to charge.
5. How Many Times Can A Lighter Be Used In A Single Charge?
Most of the excellent brand lighters can be used about 90 times on a single charge.
6. Is It Essential To Clean The Lighter?
After every few weeks, the residue can build up in these lighters tip, which affects their performance. Thus, cleaning the flame is essential as it affects the ignition of the lighter.
Care compared to its counterparts. Yet you should clean them at regular intervals for proper functioning.
7. Why Are Butane Lighters Not Useful In Higher Altitudes?
As you go up in the higher altitude, there is lesser oxygen and higher winds that make it difficult for these lighters to produce and maintain the steady flame. Thus in higher altitude, you must carry flameless survival lighters.
8. If My Lighter Stops Working And It Still Has Fluid In It, How Should I Dispose Of It?
The fluid in the lighter cannot be thrown in the trash. For safe disposal of the lighter here is a three-step procedure that you must follow:
- The first thing you need to do is read the manual reader given by manufacture and find out if any instructions to dispose of are given in it or not. If yes, follow those instructions.
- If there is no fluid in it, you can discard it like regular waste.
- If there is fluid in it contact a recycling center and handover your lighter to them.
Best Survival Lighters – Final Words
If you love adventures and are an outdoor person, then having the best survival lighter is an added advantage.
If you own the survival lighter that will stand by your side during dark and harsh weather conditions, you will have a peace of mind. Your time outdoors will be much safer, and you would be inclined to take many more adventures in the future.
Thus, if you are planning to have a good time on an adventurous trip outside, you must ensure that you choose the best survival lighter. You can make use of our list of top 16 lighters and pick anyone that suits all your requirements for your next trip.